Reach our full community by posting to ADDitude's discussion forums here

Sign In to Add a Forum Post

ADHD Medication and Alternative Treatment Reviews

Vitamin suggestions
Posted: 24 February 2014 08:06 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Rank

Hi there,
Can anyone suggest a vitamin that is adhd safe (no dyes, no or less sugar) but does not contain any coconut oil or peanut oils, tree nut oils, and fish oils?  My daughter has allergies to coconut, tree nuts, peanuts, and shellfish.  I was looking at the recommended Yumi Bears by Hero’s but the coat the vitamins in some kind of wax and fractionated coconut oil.  Any suggestions?

Posted: 21 May 2014 12:13 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  6
Rank

Hi. I think Solomon & Samson’s focus supplements should be just right for you. They contain no coloring or sugar, and only vegetarian omegas. They’re at FocusMadeEasy.com

Hope this helps.

Posted: 21 May 2014 02:48 PM   Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  43
Rank

I know that USANA’s vitamins have no dyes or sugars.  You can look them up online.  I know someone on another board if you need more info

Posted: 23 May 2014 12:31 PM   Ignore ]  
Rank

Thorne Research
http://www.thorne.com

“Thorne is the only hypoallergenic dietary supplement manufacturer with the highest degree of purity that you – and your most severely allergic, chemically sensitive, and immune-compromised patients – can truly trust.”

“Every batch of every ingredient we receive is quarantined and tested for identity and purity before being allowed to be used in any Thorne Research product. Some of our products are tested again after the mixing phase of manufacturing to ensure a homogenous mix of ingredients has been obtained. Then, every finished product is tested again before being released for sale. Such stringent attention to quality control is extremely difficult to accomplish without a state-of-the-art, in-house laboratory.”

Posted: 23 May 2014 03:50 PM   Ignore ]  
Rank

My son is 12 years old and we have been using Kid Calm by Natural Vitality.  It has been amazing for him.  We were able to eliminate other supplements and just use the Kid Calm.  It has the omega 3 and all natural vitamins including magnesium.  It is orange flavored and we add it to his orange juice in the morning.  He has been using it now for about 3 months and we have seen a noticeable improvement in him and his teachers have all made comments on how much better he seems to be doing in school.  We will continue to use this product.  I hope this is helpful to you.

Posted: 21 June 2014 02:27 AM   Ignore ]  
Rank

I have been using 2 supplements.

However, they seem to be effective for those with a hyper active, anxiety and overstimulated type. This works like a charm for me, but we are all different of course. there are 2 supplements which focus on proper nerve conduction and parasympathetic (stress reduction) response.

1. l tyrosine- An amino acid working as a precursor to the neurotransmitters dopamine and norepinephrine. This helps to aleviate physical symptoms of stress and resulting in less mood swings (also works as an anti oxidant eventhough that’s kind of off topic).

2. GABA (Gamma-Amino Butyric acid )- This targets the central nervous system more directly and has a profound effect on over stimulated brain function. Since this neurotransmitter functions as a nerve impulse inhibitor, it can help those with ADHD to stop unecessary firing of the brain as I like to call it.

Since everyone has a different ADD type, it does not work the same for everyone, I am just sharing what works for me thus far. This along with a good diet and exercise seems to do the trick for me! I use the brand “NOW” and it is great on purity and potency. I use 500mg a day of each, but I think you can go up to 1000mg depending. give it a shot and I hope this helps!

Be well.