New Issue!

Spring 2017 Issue ADDitude magazine Read the 'ADHD Therapies That Work' issue now!

The New ADDitude Forums Are Live!

Reach our full community by posting to ADDitude's discussion forums here

Anxiety and ADHD

ADD/ADHD Testing ...

So I was supposed to go tomorrow for ADD/ADHD testing but I cancelled it.  Not sure what to do.  I was going to meet with a psychologist to get tested.  I have been suffering from depression and anxiety all my life and it has gotten a bit out of control and hormonal imbalance.  So I thought I would deal with that first before getting tested for ADD/ADHD!!  Not sure what to do now???  Who do I see to get tested a psychologist or pscyhiatrist?  Do I need to find someone who is specialized in ADD/ADHD or just a general psychiatrist to help me with my anxiety and depression????


A good Clinical Social Worker MSW Lic. is a good place to start in my opinion. That is who tested me years ago. No Psyscologist or Psychiatrist have ever disputed the diagnosis.

Posted by journeywomyn on Jan 13, 2014 at 5:51am

In my case I searched in the internet for a psychologist that do evaluation, I called them an asked if they test for ADD/ADHD also, and if they accept my insurance, it’s expensive, and the insurance covered partially only, the balance have to be out of pocket. It’s the best decision you can make, once you have your diagnosis, then you can find the exact treatment you need. I was diagnosed with ADD, GAD (generalized anxiety disorder, and mild depression. Good luck!

Posted by Zatara on Jan 13, 2014 at 9:14am


Psychiatrists can prescribe medication but psychologist cannot. They can diagnose you for ADD, depression, and anxiety all at the same time.  Find a psychiatrist with a good reputation that is recommended by his/her patients.  In the meantime, regular exercise is really helpful for anxiety and depression.
Posted by Jen7 on Jan 13, 2014 at 1:53pm

Go to a psychiatrist to get meds to treat your depression and anxiety. Who knows if you even have ADD/HD. The meds to treat that have no positive effect on depression and anxiety—it’s a whole different ball of wax.
Posted by Clever1 on Jan 13, 2014 at 3:35pm


I’m not an expert by any means, but I suggest going to a child psychiatrist . They have studied more about add/adhd, than adult psychiatrists have. Best wishes to you on your journey seeking a correct diagnosis .
Posted by 2592sc on Jan 13, 2014 at 8:46am

Posted by adhdmomma on Jan 13, 2014 at 9:43pm

Reply to this thread

You must be logged in to reply. To log in, click here.
Not a member? Join ADDConnect today. It's free and easy!

Not a member yet? Join here »

Search the ADDConnect Group Discussions