New Issue!

Spring 2017 Issue ADDitude magazine Read the 'ADHD Therapies That Work' issue now!

The New ADDitude Forums Are Live!

Reach our full community by posting to ADDitude's discussion forums here

Just Diagnosed With ADHD (Adults)

Diagnosed with Bipolar instead of ADHD/ I Dont agree

I have thought for years that I have ADHD. I was finally tested and the psychologist says she thinks I am Bipolar instead. I don’t agree. What do I do now?


The same thing happened to me yesterday. And the crazy thing is, the doctor I saw yesterday is the same doctor who diagnosed me with ADHD as a child. Now, as an adult he thinks I have bipolar depression. WTF? He gave me some meds and I started taking them, but they make me hiiiiggghhhh. Like, I can’t even leave the house. I called him today and told him about it and he said to keep taking them but try taking them with food. My BFF told me to get a second opinion. I would love to do that, but there are no other doctors in my area that are willing to treat ADD patients. I have called like 7 of them and they all send me to this guy. I don;t think I am bipolar, my husband doesn’t think I am bipolar, my BFF doesn;t think that I am bipolar. Why does someone who hasn’t seen me since I was a child think that I am bipolar? Doesn’t make sense to me.  By the way, a psychologist is a very smart person, but is not a medical doctor or even a doctor of psychiatry. I would definitely get a second opinion if I were you. Good luck!

Posted by bagels006 on Jun 18, 2014 at 9:06am

I am diagnosed with both problems and take a medication for both of them and pretty ample doses and have no issues.

Posted by spemat on Jun 19, 2014 at 9:08am

There are a lot of reasons why a clinician (and this has not much to do with the letter behind their name, more to do with certain biases that psychologists, therapists, and psychiatrists all have) might diagnose you are bipolar instead of ADHD, especially in a woman. They’re too long to list here, but suffice to say that diagnosis is an art AND a science. If I were you, I would find a neuropsychologist who specializes in LD and ADHD diagnosis.

You need to make every effort you can to get a second opinion and to advocate for yourself.

Best of luck

Posted by StatisticallySignifcant on Feb 03, 2015 at 4:57am

Reply to this thread

You must be logged in to reply. To log in, click here.
Not a member? Join ADDConnect today. It's free and easy!

Not a member yet? Join here »

Search the ADDConnect Group Discussions