New Issue!

Spring 2017 Issue ADDitude magazine Read the 'ADHD Therapies That Work' issue now!

The New ADDitude Forums Are Live!

Reach our full community by posting to ADDitude's discussion forums here

ADHD Adults

Diagnosis ...

Both my kids have been diagnosed with ADHD and the more and more I have been reading and learning I feel like I have had it my whole life.

I take my kids to pediatric neurologist..  should I go the same route for my diagnosis or is there a different type of doctor that would work best??


Getting a diagnosis for you may need to follow a somewhat different route, but you could start with your PMD.  Bring in any online quizzes you have taken, but not a mountain of paper.  Or you could simply write out a summary of the difficulties you are having and how long these things have been a problem for you.  Were there problems that showed up in your school report cards/ grade reports?  If you can get them, those would be really helpful.

Do not settle for taking an antidepressant if you are not depressed.  Although some can be helpful, it is better to ask for a referral to a psychiatrist or neurologist who can accurately diagnose.

Also look for a counselor or therapist who can help you find techniques and tools to help you.  In my case, the tools, routines and changing of habits did what medication could not do. 

Before going to any specialist, make sure that they are familiar with ADHD and willing to do more than just throw medication at it.  The pills will help, but they do not solve the problems that have developed over the time you have been living with this. 

If possible, find an ADD group and attend the meetings so that you have a network to help you navigate the “waters”.

ADDADHD is inherited, which means that one or both of the childrens’ parents has it, as well.  If you have ADHD/ADD then you are in a unique position to help your kids as they grow.

Posted by Dianne in the Desert on May 17, 2014 at 1:36am

When I was diagnosed my counselor sent me to a Psychiatrist. It is best if you go to one that specializes in ADHD diagnoses.

Posted by Rancher John on May 17, 2014 at 1:45am

A friend told me about her son being diagnosed, and it all sounded very familiar.
I did a few online tests, and scored v high for ADD, but v low for the Hyperactivity.
One test, which was for parents to assess their child, said “if your child shows 3 or more symptons for at least 6 months, then ...”
I showed 95% for all my life!
Got a referral to a specialist, got dex pills.
Life is better and easier.

Posted by Bob from Cootamundra on May 17, 2014 at 1:26pm

Here is a self-test on At the end, you can download the free copy of “Recognizing the Symptoms of Adult ADHD.” This will give you more insight as to if you’re on the right track. With two kids diagnosed, I’d guess you likely are.

ADDconnect Moderator & Mom to Tween Boy with ADHD and LDs

Posted by adhdmomma on May 19, 2014 at 4:47pm

Reply to this thread

You must be logged in to reply. To log in, click here.
Not a member? Join ADDConnect today. It's free and easy!

Not a member yet? Join here »

Search the ADDConnect Group Discussions