New Issue!

Spring 2017 Issue ADDitude magazine Read the 'ADHD Therapies That Work' issue now!

The New ADDitude Forums Are Live!

Reach our full community by posting to ADDitude's discussion forums here

Parents of ADHD Teens and Young Adults

My 28 year old son needs help with his ADD can't hold a job.

My son was premature when he was born and had a very had time in school.  He was never diagnosed with ADD but I know that this is his problem.  He was always in trouble in high school He has not been able to hold a job for more then 3 months.  He is in a relationship now with a wonderful girl and I am so scared that he is going to loose her because she cannot take the fact that he cannot keep a job.  I am also, fed up with having to support him.  I need a Psychiatrist that can test him and help him on his way to recovery.  I am in the New York Metro area.  Also, since he does not work he is on Medicaid.  So someone who would accept Medicaid with be great.

Please any suggestions anyone can give I am open to them.


Hi.  I understand how difficult it is to have a son with ADHD.  My son is 17 and was diagnosed 2 years ago.  Please learn as much as you can about what makes him tick (how his brain works) and ideally he will also be interested in learning to cope with his ADHD issues.  I was a bit concerned when you mentioned needing someone to help him on his way to recovery.  ADHD is not a disease nor an addiction, but a diagnosis applied to children and adults who consistently display certain characteristic behaviors over a period of time.  I hope your journey puts you on his team so together you can work towards changes in behavior that encourage him to become a productive and happy person with a meaningful job and healthy relationships.  This site is a great start.

Posted by jak on Nov 17, 2013 at 1:56am

Go to  At the top left hand side of the website, there is a link for Find a Therapist.  If you click on that it will give you an option for Find a Psychiatrist.  All you have to do is put in your zip code and it will come up with a list of psychiatrists in your area.  If you click on a listing for a particular psychiatrist, it will tell you towards the bottom of the page which insurance plans they accept.  That being said, your son will have to make the appointment since he is over 18.  He will need to want to seek evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment.  If he is not motivated to do so, then attempting treatment will be ineffective.

In addition, I would check with your local Office of Vocational Rehabilitation.  Every state has a Department of Vocational Rehabilitation.  It is a federal program designed to help people with disabilities achieve employment goals.  They can also pay for evaluations, and if he meets their criteria for services, they will offer him vocational guidance and counseling, as well as job placement and follow-up support services.  They can pay for vocational school training and college as well.  Good luck!

Posted by djch45 on Nov 17, 2013 at 4:49am

Start by finding a psychiatrist who specializes in Adult ADHD. Have him get evaluated and then follow their suggestions for treatment. That may go a long way to helping him succeed at work. As well, see if he can find some career counseling. Maybe part of the issue with longevity is the fact that the jobs he is taking are not the right fit. I cannot help you with specific resources in NYC, but look for these opportunities.
ADDconnect Moderator & Mom to Tween Boy with ADHD and LDs

Posted by adhdmomma on Nov 19, 2013 at 3:27am

Reply to this thread

You must be logged in to reply. To log in, click here.
Not a member? Join ADDConnect today. It's free and easy!

Not a member yet? Join here »

Search the ADDConnect Group Discussions