New Issue!

Spring 2017 Issue ADDitude magazine Read the 'ADHD Therapies That Work' issue now!

The New ADDitude Forums Are Live!

Reach our full community by posting to ADDitude's discussion forums here

ADHD at School

Need Help

My son is adhd is 15 and in spec ed since 8th grade,  now is going into 10th grade, his current school does not have a spec ed setting and we are now being forced to take him out of his home school and go to another school which we hate.  We have seen a lawyer and he feels that we really don’t have much of a case due to my sons grades and that he needs to continue in a spec ed setting type classroom.  I would like for him to remain in his home school and be put into an inclusion type setting and get a 1:1 teacher assistant, along with some accomodations for his adhd,  is this possible if we decide to drop his IEP?  also does anyone know what a 504 is?  My husband and I feel horrible about this situation, its as if were being bullied,  we should be able to place our children where we see fit.  thanks


A 504 plan is similar to the IEP in my opinion the IEP carries more weight. The 504 plan can have many of the same accommodations as the IEP such as extra time, small testing group, frequent breaks etc. this is for the general Ed teacher to use as accommodations. The problem with this is that it doesn’t offer another person in the class so it may overwhelm the general Ed teacher or the teacher may not be able to always give the extra attention given different classroom dynamics. The. IEP comes with the extra support of another qualified teacher or teacher assistant. I hope this helps.

We just put out daughter whose almost 8 On an IEP as well. At the same we feel like the by vyvance 40 mg is not working. She turns from being a bubbly girl into a almost zombie that still won’t do any work without direct help. So we are currently reevaluating as well to make sure we are truly dealing with ADHD and maybe not something else. Do you live in GA? I could use a support group!

Posted by sjones192 on Jul 18, 2014 at 4:43am

Can my son still get some accomodations and a 1:1 teaching assistant if we remove his iep just to keep him in the school in an inclusion classroom,  my problem along with everything else is we as taxpayers pay so much $$ to live in this area and now they tell us that they don’t have a 10th grade sped ed class for him in his school.  now he has to be removed and go to another school (not a pleasant one and because of his impulsesivity and being easily distracted we are afraid for him.

Posted by macprincesss on Jul 18, 2014 at 12:05pm

Hi Macprincesss!

It’s disappointing that they can’t accommodate your son’s needs at his current school. I’m not a legal expert, but I do believe he will have to have an IEP to get the 1:1 teaching assistant—I was told you can’t get any extra staff help with a 504 Plan. You have the right to refuse an IEP and special education, but is that the right move for your son?

There are distinct differences between IEP and 504, and this article spells them out: This will help you make an informed decision.

Susan Yellin, Esq did a great webinar with ADDitude on the differences between an IEP and 504. Listen to the archive:

One thought I think it’s important to consider, if you waive his IEP and keep him at his current school, I believe they still have the right to move him if they can’t meet his needs in that environment. That is a good conversation to have with your educational attorney. Waiving his IEP may not produce the desired result in the long run.

ADDconnect Moderator, Author & Mom to Tween Boy with ADHD and LDs

Posted by adhdmomma on Jul 18, 2014 at 1:51pm

If we keep his iep and he remains at his current school and goes into an inclusion type classroom is there such a thing as a 1:1 teaching assistant in that type of setting?  do we have to fight for him to get that?  will he be getting the same type of education as in a spec ed classroom with a 1:1 assistant?  is this considered an accommodation that we would have to request at a meeting?

Posted by macprincesss on Jul 18, 2014 at 2:11pm

Hi macprincesss!

These are really questions for the school. Here in NC, it is nearly impossible to get a 1:1 aid for a student who doesn’t need medical assistance. I know many parents in other states whose ADHD kids have a 1:1 aid in an inclusion setting though. Many do have to fight for it. My son has an IEP and is in an inclusion setting—he is in the regular education classroom most of the time but is pulled out 30 minutes a day for special education for his learning disability. I’m certain you’ll need to request a meeting to get a formal service like a 1:1 aid. Call the school and ask these questions.

ADDconnect Moderator, Author & Mom to Tween Boy with ADHD and LDs

Posted by adhdmomma on Jul 21, 2014 at 12:27pm

Reply to this thread

You must be logged in to reply. To log in, click here.
Not a member? Join ADDConnect today. It's free and easy!

Not a member yet? Join here »

Search the ADDConnect Group Discussions