New Issue!

Spring 2017 Issue ADDitude magazine Read the 'ADHD Therapies That Work' issue now!

The New ADDitude Forums Are Live!

Reach our full community by posting to ADDitude's discussion forums here

ADHD in Florida

Need Help in Pensacola

I am a 66 year old woman living in Pensacola and am having trouble finding help with what I believe to be adult ADD.  My personal physician laughed at me and said she doesn’t believe it exists in adults. I’ve tried psychiatrists who want me to be evaluated by a psychologist but the ones in Pensacola only see children for this condition. I saw a neurologist who said he didn’t know anything about adult ADD and wanted me to have a lot of medical tests - EEG, MRI etc. My entire day is a mess and I don’t know what to do. I’ve been taking Synaptal with no results so I drink coffee all day. This is a family condition which I believe I’ve had since I was a child.  What can I do to remain sane?


Shame on them.  Try surrounding communities if you can’t find anyone local.

Posted by hitwcidb on Dec 29, 2013 at 10:16pm

I believe you do need to see a child psychiatrist to be diagnosed properly if you can find one to take you as a patient. They have been trained in the adhd area, whereas a lot of adult psychiatrist’s have not. Best wishes to you. I know its tough finding the right doctor.

Posted by 2592sc on Dec 30, 2013 at 2:59pm

You may have to go away from Pensacola. Try FWB The turning point may help you. Good LUCK!

Posted by Grandpa60 on Jun 03, 2014 at 5:55am

I know this is an old post, but I live in Pensacola and have found a company that offers neurofeedback that has greatly helped me! I am 29 and originally signed up my 6 year old for Neuro-Centrum Tutoring because they offered Neurofeedback in the form of a computer game. My daughter and I both have ADHD the combined type. I felt that I struggled even with medication and after watching my daughter’s progress I decided to give it a try. Even though the program was designed with children in mind I found it challenging and it has allowed me to be more aware of my attention and control it. I strongly recommend it.The website of the company is

Posted by DLTWCY81 on Oct 09, 2014 at 5:00am

Reply to this thread

You must be logged in to reply. To log in, click here.
Not a member? Join ADDConnect today. It's free and easy!

Not a member yet? Join here »

Search the ADDConnect Group Discussions