New Issue!

Spring 2017 Issue ADDitude magazine Read the 'ADHD Therapies That Work' issue now!

The New ADDitude Forums Are Live!

Reach our full community by posting to ADDitude's discussion forums here

Parents of ADHD Children

Need advise on how to get my son help in school.

My son is going to be 13 in Feb, he was diagnosed with ADD ADHD when he was 7, he’s been on medication for it since he was 7. Last year when he started middle school was when he really started to struggle in school and this year is even worst. The school is not giving me much help and the school has never done any kind of evaluation for my son. I was told by a friend to get an IEP, through the school. I just don’t understand why the schools he has been to before has not done this before. Plus I’m just learning I can disability for him also. I have been paying for all of his therapy, psychiatrist appointments doctor appointments and medicines out of my pocket with very little help through my insurance. What process do I need to go through to get help?


In terms of disability, I understand that if you are approved, you will get payment from the start date of the disability, not the date of the application.

Posted by juwanda on Dec 01, 2013 at 7:39pm

Get an IEP. This gives you the flexibility your son needs for homework completion, test taking and regular classroom behaviour.  I recommend it.

Posted by staypositive on Dec 02, 2013 at 8:41am

Hi Jwlw!

Unfortunately, most parents of kids with neuro-behavioral disorders have to ask for services their child deserves—the school won’t offer it.

Use the sample letter found in this link ( to help you draft a letter requesting an evaluation for your son. This letter should be addressed to the school principle but cc’d to teachers and maybe the guidance counselor as well. Be sure to include a copy of your son’s diagnosis from a medical professional with the letter.

As well, here’s a Guide to Getting Accommodations and Services for Students with ADHD: This article will walk you through the entire process of securing an IEP or 504 Plan for your child.

Good luck!
ADDconnect Moderator & Mom to Tween Boy with ADHD and LDs

Posted by adhdmomma on Dec 02, 2013 at 6:26pm

It was pretty easy for me to get the 504. My sons psychologist spoke to the one at the school, sent them the formal diagnoses and they made the appt for the 504 which was this morning.

Posted by jenpen629 on Dec 05, 2013 at 10:20am

Reply to this thread

You must be logged in to reply. To log in, click here.
Not a member? Join ADDConnect today. It's free and easy!

Not a member yet? Join here »

Search the ADDConnect Group Discussions