Join ADHD Groups!

Click the arrows to expand each group category below

Parents of ADHD Children

ADD Adults

ADHD and Related Conditions

ADHD Professionals

ADHD Resources

Groups by Location

Parents of ADHD Children

Visual therapy and ADHD

Has anyone ever had their child tested by a developmental optometrist? My dtr (without ADHD) has APD was evaluated and I’ve been reading that ADHD can be misdiagnosed when there is a vision processing problem. Anyone every give their child vision therapy? Good or bad? Thanks!

Replies

My niece was misdiagnosed with ADHD and was given vision therapy with quite a bit of success, I believe. She had a lazy eye that required 2 surgeries and is missing her corpus colosum (no idea if that’s spelled right). So it made sense. My son has ADHD, but I didn’t pursue this diagnosis, because he didn’t fit any of the symptoms. It’s been a little while so I’m a bit fuzzy, but I think they were things like tilting the head (from the eyes not working together), etc. Hope that helps a little!

Posted by OhMySweet on Jul 28, 2014 at 8:02am
Posted by OhMySweet on Jul 28, 2014 at 8:02am

I have a friend with two kids with ADHD who have both done vision therapy with some success. Neither child was misdiagnosed, but they struggled with focus and reading more due to poor tracking and other vision-related issues. Her children have both experienced academic improvement. It didn’t cure anything, just helped some. It’s very expensive, or I would have had my son evaluated for it as well.

Penny
ADDconnect Moderator, Author & Mom to Tween Boy with ADHD and LDs

Posted by adhdmomma on Jul 28, 2014 at 5:48pm

My real-world experience with students matches the research.

Vision Therapy is great for muscular or physical training such as issues with strabismus or the tendancy to track with one eye instead of both eyes working together, etc. I still don’t pay to have it done in a clinic for my son. However, I would consider approving at least one round of therapy for most students in this category.

Little to minimal to no progress in the classroom related to anything to do with processing, (although they can measure progress in their VT tasks).

However, there is a huge wave of people that sell VT and parents that they have convinced that VT fixes everything under the sun.

Case in point, in a previous job, I had two practitioners assess for VT for my department.
One sold VT for a living, assessments recommended VT 95% of the time. I personally believe the other 5% is because they didn’t like the parent.
One was based out of a university eye clinic that had published research on when VT is appropriate versus inappropriate; they recommended VT about 1/3 of our referrals.
This is not a coincidence.


In fact, I can incite a flood of hate mail by posting this position paper from two medical organizations
http://www.aao.org/about/policy/upload/Learning-Disabilities-Dyslexia-Vision-2009.pdf

And waiting in 3…2….1…

Posted by Dr. Eric on Jul 29, 2014 at 7:27pm

My daughter, 5 years old, has been diagnosed with ADHD and also has lazy eye which we are treating with eye therapy. I will tell you after about 2 months of doing it, her motor skills have gotten much better, she can write her name, draw, and is not as ‘clutsy’ as she once was. I can also tell you her ADHD symptoms have not changed (not unless we medicate), she is still very hyperactive, has impulse control issues, and cannot focus on something if she is not interested.

We see a dr for therapy once a week (not covered by insurance $100 a visit) he wants her to go for 32 weeks. We also bought a program for the computer (from the dr’s office) that we do every other day. She couldn’t handle everyday.

So from a vision standpoint she is doing better, but for us this was not a treatment (or a misdiagnosis) of ADHD

*Edit, we did not take her to VT with the hopes of helping her ADHD, we did it because of actual vision issues/lazy eye!

Posted by oliviaandrichiesmommy on Jul 31, 2014 at 6:38pm

Reply to this thread

You must be logged in to reply. To log in, click here.
Not a member? Join ADDConnect today. It's free and easy!

Not a member yet? Join here »


Important! User-Generated Content

The opinions expressed on ADDConnect are solely those of the user, who may or may not have medical training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of ADDConnect or ADDitude magazine. For more information, see our terms and conditions.