New Issue!

Spring 2017 Issue ADDitude magazine Read the 'ADHD Therapies That Work' issue now!

The New ADDitude Forums Are Live!

Reach our full community by posting to ADDitude's discussion forums here

Parents of ADHD Children

What can i do about my son who has ADHD/ODD?

my son who is 8, has tried to burn the house down many times, i hide all the lighters, matches, and everything. but some how keep keeps finding things to start fires with. tonight he set his bed on fire the said he didnt do. i am at my whits ends with it, he tries to fight me when i tell him to get in time out or anything. i dont want to have to send him off.


Hi Amom83!

His behavior is extremely dangerous. Because of that, I would consider this an emergency and seek psychiatric help right away. The younger he is with intervention, the greater chance he has of turning this type of behavior around.

ADDconnect Moderator, Author & Mom to Tween Boy with ADHD and LDs

Posted by adhdmomma on Jul 29, 2014 at 1:41pm

He needs to be in the hospital until they can find the appropriate treatment for his ODD. Is he on stimulants? That’s the first thing they usually try. Also, doctors have found success with low doses of atypical antipsychotics like risperidol. They broadcast a webinar on ODD earlier in the summer. The speaker was William Dodson. I couldn’t find the webinar link, but here is a link to Dr. Dodson’s info. He is in Denver, but I’m sure he can refer you to a competent professional in your area if you contact his office directly.

In the meantime, your son need to be in the hospital. Its the only place where you and he will be safe until he gets the help he needs.
Be safe.
Sue H in PC, Ohio

Posted by SueH on Jul 29, 2014 at 3:09pm

he is on Adderal 20mg in the mornings and 10mg at lunch time. but they dont seem to be working going to talk to his dr. about it. he works with lifeskills

Posted by Amom83 on Jul 29, 2014 at 11:37pm

Yes, that is very serious.  You should share it with the psychiatrist/psychologist immediately. Is he in therapy? Do you take parenting classes? You should subscribe to free podcasts on I-tunes about parenting children with ODD.  I use “empowering parents.”  My son has ODD/ADHD and takes Concerta 36 mg once per day and does okay with that.  I didn’t want to give him Risperidol.  Your son sounds like he really needs help now though.  Good luck to you.

Posted by Liz A on Jul 30, 2014 at 3:31am

he meets with his therapist one a month right now till school starts back. then he goes back to once a week. he was on Risperidol before it made him worse than he is now. i have tired to call his psychiatrist but she is out on vacation this week. so im at a lose of what to do next.

Posted by Amom83 on Jul 30, 2014 at 3:46am

I have an acquaintance whose son is also violent, she tried everything you are doing.  She has even had to call the police he is so violent.  Her son is the same age.

Here is what she had to do and it is helping them.  Your local large hospitals have psychiatric emergency phone lines.  This will at least get him into the system, and then get him into a day-treatment program, or even an in-patient program.  There might be waiting lists, so take action asap. Google to find these phone numbers and places to help.  Good luck.

Posted by Pdxlaura on Jul 31, 2014 at 8:13pm

Reply to this thread

You must be logged in to reply. To log in, click here.
Not a member? Join ADDConnect today. It's free and easy!

Not a member yet? Join here »

Search the ADDConnect Group Discussions